DEPOT, TUSCUMBIA, ALABAMA
The historic town of Tuscumbia, Alabama has recently enjoyed
a resurgence heralded by Mr. Harold Robbins who in 2000
returned to his native hometown to give back to the community.
Mr. Robbins solicited the City of Tuscumbia to restore
the historic Tuscumbia Train Depot, constructed in 1899.
The city worked with the Alabama Department of Transportation
to create an interpretive Train Museum and restore the
much deteriorated 3,000 square foot two-story building.
As a historic property the project complied with the Secretary
of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation. Historic
photos were used to guide the team in replacing historic
roof cresting as well as the original depot sign. Care
was taken to restore original finishes and carefully integrate
necessary code upgrades without damaging the historic
nature of the building.