400 FOURTH AVENUE SOUTH,
EOA ARCHITECTS, NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE
EOA Architects bought and renovated the former St. Paul's
A.M.E. Church for their new offices. The existing ceiling
of the 1874 structure was removed to open the full volume
of the sanctuary space to the design studio and expose the
original heavy timber roof structure. The windows were replaced
to recall the original openings and provide north light for
the studio spaces. From the street level, entry into the "sanctuary"
space is gained via a wide staircase which penetrates the
central gallery, a "wedge-shaped" space which is used to display
the firm's work. A "pulpit", as a sculptural element providing
the focus to the gallery, incorporates a stair to the mezzanine
level studio. Awards.